Brief: The fully re-envisioned and reborn Marquand House at 11 East 68th Street was the former site of an 1884 mansion built by famed architect Richard Morris Hunt for Henry Gurdon Marquand, one of the founders of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Located steps from Central Park, 11 East 68th Street have been one of Manhattan’s most distinguished addresses for more than a century. Henry Lucas replaced the original Marquand residence in 1913, with a twin-tower Beaux Arts Revival luxury apartment building.
Solution The reinvented the structure to feature a wide variety of graciously scaled residences that include a 10,000-square-foot mansion, two- and three-story terraced penthouse units, and a series of spacious simplex homes. In an effort to recapture the scale, intimacy, and high quality of Manhattan’s famed Candela, Platt, and Carpenter apartment buildings.
The Marquand carefully created a sense of place and procession by designing cohesive experiences from curbside to bedside. Great attention to detail is consistent from the courtyard and lobby to the elevator vestibule and residence. The homes themselves create a series of enfilade spaces that enable the resident to feel the largest dimensions of each individual home. An important consideration is also the change in the way one occupies the spaces. All of the residences at The Marquand are informed by the past while fully modernized with well-appointed amenities to create a combined sense of quality, calm, organization, and elegance. Each home includes expansive eat-in kitchens, media rooms, gallery spaces, large baths, and dressing rooms.